Tribulus terrestris is a single herbal product that has recently become extremely popular in the natural health field. It has been found to benefit the sexual functions of both men and women. It is a libido enhancer. Clinical studies indicate that it helps with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and with menopausal syndrome. It provides extra drive for body builders. It has been found to regulate hormone levels in both men and women. The result is increased sexual potency in men and improved hormonal balance in women. Studies indicate that men who take Tribulus terrestris consistently have higher amounts of free testosterone in their systems.
Ron Teeguarden Tribulus, Bulgarian
Primary Traditional Functions
Testosterone stimulator, diuretic, aphrodisiac (stimulates libido), stimulates spermatogenesis and ovogenesis, anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic.
Among the clinically significant effects of Tribulus terrestris identified in various human and animal studies are:
- Reduction in cholesterol
- Reductions in high blood pressure
- Inhibition of stress-induced clumping of blood platelets
- Increases in strength of contraction of the heart muscle
- Reductions in sodium and fluid retention
- Anti-urolithiatic (urinary/kidney stone preventing) and litholytic (dissolving) activities
- Improvement of the profile of red and white blood cells, including V and T lymphocytes and stimulation of the humoral immune system
- Anti-bacterial, anti-malarial and anti-fungal properties
- Anti-inflammatory activity
- Analgesic effects
And with specific regard to sexual function:
- In men: increase libido, in potency and strength of erections, in the number and quality of sperm produced, and often, testosterone. Tribulus terrestris has been shown to increase free testosterone levels in men when consumed it.
- In women: increases libido, improved sexual hormone profile (increases in estradiol levels), mood and ovulation effects, reductions in some menopausal symptoms and balance of hormones to decrease overgrowth of facial hair
No adverse effects have been noted in any of the clinical trials or human research studies. Toxicity is extremely low in both acute and long term animal studies (based on the animal data, a human would have to consume approximately 100 times the average recommended dose of 750mg). There are no contraindications, and no negative effects are presently known to exist when Bulgarian Tribulus terrestris is used as a nutritional supplement in the recommended amounts or when used as adjunctive therapy in the absence of other prescribed medications.
Bulgarian Tribulus terrestris is extraordinarily rich in substances of potential biological significance, including plant steroids, saponins, flavonoids, alkaloids, unsaturated acids, oils, calcium, phosphorus, iron and protein, which individually and in concert, are responsible for its many and varied physiological effects.
The presence and quantities of the pharmacologically important metabolites depend on the parts of the plants used (above ground parts: leaves and fruits and, to a lesser extent, the shoots) and on the conditions of growth, cultivation and harvesting. The following ensures that Trilovin™ delivers the highest possible quality and natural content of active metabolites:
- The use of specific, unique and pharmaceutically oriented methods of growing and harvesting Tribulus terrestris in Bulgaria
- Use of only the above ground (aerial) portions of the plant
- The subsequent handling, and processing in the United States
A quantity of Tribulus terrestris, cultivated and harvested in the environmentally clean area of Topolovgrad, Bulgaria, according to the specific methods developed for pharmaceutical use, is now available for distribution in the United States and Canada. With international documentation regarding origin, authenticity, radiological contamination and chemical analysis, it was released for use in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration in late 1996.
Is Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris different from Chinese and Indian Tribulus?
Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris differs significantly from the Tribulus Terrestris extracts from India and China.
Using a special method of harvesting and pharmaceutical preparation, Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris has a very high concentration of steroidal saponins. Indian and Chinese Tribulus Terrestris do not.
There are three groups of active phytochemicals in Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris:
- Dioscin, protodioscin, diosgenin, etc. This first group has an effect on sexual performance and may treat various sexual disorders, sexual energy level and strength by increasing the percentage of free testosterone level for men, and effects pregnenolone, progesterone, estrogen, etc. The hormone balancing effects of Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris for women makes this product best for premenstrual syndrome and menopausal syndrome.
- Sterols – betasitosterols, stigma, etc. ,br />This second group protects the prostate from swelling and in combination with the X steroidal saponins (third group listed below), protects the prostate from cancer.
- Proprietary steroidal saponins currently referred to as X steroidal saponins.
These X steroidal saponins effect the immune system. They have been demonstrated to possess anti-bacterial and anti-viral (especially anti-herpes) effects. Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris may be used internally and externally to treat herpes, and virus infections such as influenza and the common cold.
Chinese and Indian Tribulus Terrestris are made from a different part of the plant and is harvested at a different time of the year. The phytochemistry of Chinese and Indian Tribulus Terrestris is considerably different from that of Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris.
Chinese and Indian Tribulus Terrestris is used as a diuretic, and is used to treat kidney stones. Chinese and Indian Tribulus Terrestris does not have the same pharmacological and physiological functions as Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris. At the best, Indian and Chinese Tribulus Terrestris have but a trace of group 1 and 1 phytochemicals, and contain virtually no X steroidal saponins. The Indian and Chinese producers extract for furostanols, which has no equivalent pharmacological effect to the Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris. Furostanols are not the active ingredient used to effect sexual physiology and to regulate hormone balance. As they exist in Indian and Chinese Tribulus Terrestris, they are not absorbed and utilized by the body. However, the all of the active substances in Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris are readily absorbed and utilized in the body. This explains the radical difference in the effects of Tribulus Terrestris from different sources.
Bulgarian Tribulus utilizes the entire plant. It promotes the functions of the adrenal glands and can have profound benefits to menopausal women and to men with weakening sexual function. Tribulus also has powerful, safe anti-inflammatory action.
Who Can Use This Formula
Adult men and women.
Other Ingredients: Vegetarian capsules (Pullulan caps 100% natural, water-soluble polysaccharide produced through a fermentation process; vegetable origin; non-GMO; no starch, preservative or chemical modifications; gluten free.), rice powder.
Concentration: Powdered Tribulus Terrestris
3 capsules 2 times per day or as directed by your health care practitioner.
Each bottle contains 100 vegetarian capsules, 500 milligrams each.